Stitch

Stitch

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Generation M: Misogyny in Media and Culture

            


In the video Generation M: Misogyny in Media and Culture, Dr. Thomas Keith aims to show us the sexism that is all around us in the shows we watch, the music we listen to, and the things we buy.  The video also shows us how much of an impact sexism in the media has on people in this country, especially girls.  Like, when a girl watches a music video from their favorite band or musical artist and all the girls in the video are all beautiful, thin, scantily clad, and dancing provocatively, the girl watching might wish that she could be more like those girls.  That is what leads to anorexia, and spending tons of money on fashion, make up, and sometimes, cosmetic surgery.

One of the most interesting parts of the video, to me, was when one of the ladies was talking about the women in Fiji.  She said that before television was brought to Fiji, women were viewed as beautiful if they were “large” because that shows that you were healthy and were wealthy enough to buy plenty of food.  But, after only 3 years of having television and being subjected to the media, a large amount of the women started dieting and some even started vomiting to lose weight.  That is absolutely astonishing to me because for as long as the country has been around (about 2000 year the lady says) heavier women were seen as the most beautiful but then by showing them “media beauty” it only to 3 YEARS to completely change their sense of beauty.

Not only did the video talk about the beauty effects of the media, Keith also pointed out violence against women.  The most astonishing part was when they showed someone playing Grand Theft Auto and the character brought a woman (probably prostitute) back to his car and then beats her to death with a baseball bat.  They said that most people, who played GTA and did things like that, only did it because you have the power to and there are no repercussions in the game from doing so.  (That is absolutely appalling and why I have never touched the game.)




I found this video and I thought it does a pretty good job at showing some more misogyny in the media especially through things likes memes.

Comments/Questions:
So, while watching the movie, one of the things that hit me the hardest was the talk about anorexia because it kind of hit close to home (I was anorexic when I was younger, to the point where if I hit a certain weight I wouldn't eat for three days).  But then, a couple days ago I watched a movie called The Road Within. (Just a quick run down) It is about a boy with Tourettes syndrome being sent to a medical center for people with mental illness and he ends up running away with another boy with OCD and a girl with anorexia.  Throughout the movie no one says to the boys "Why do you do what you do?" because they see those as actual problems but the girl always gets asked "Why don't you just eat?"  So my question is, why do people not see anorexia as a real mental issue?

2 comments:

  1. As far as anorexia, I'm not 100% sure because it's not something I've ever experienced, but everyone's issues should be treated equally, regardless of gender. I think the movie was interesting in that it was an eye-opening experience, and I hope more people pay attention to things that are happening socially. Nice blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that people know that they have anorexia; however, it's one of those mental thing that they lie to themselves about. For example, I had OCD (still kind of do, but that's besides the point), while I would do my ritualistic things I knew something was wrong but I told myself I was fine. Mental problems will do that. You lie to yourself.
    And honestly who ever doesn't see anorexia as a real mental issue is a complete idiot. That mental disease is a MENTAL disease. Doctors diagnose it as one; therefore, it is one.
    Lastly, if someone doesn't have a mental disease, they won't understand why someone can't do something.

    ReplyDelete